Pageviews past week

Thursday, October 20, 2011

C.J. and Mary Do New York Part 1. Oct. 2011

These are the beautiful flowers that Jamey brought to our hotel room. She and C.J. had been waiting on me for a long time as my flight out of Atlanta was delayed for FOUR hours and then in New York I had to wait an hour in line for a cab. C.J. had flown in from Dallas. I finally arrived just after midnight. Jamey had our hotel room all fixed up with many kinds of cheese and crackers, fruit, magazines with a list of the doings in town and subway tickets for us.  FYI- Some of these blog pictures I took and some I got off the internet. You don't want to keep stopping for pictures...it interrupts the flow of foot traffic.

Jamey and I in the hotel lobby. This place was very art deco and the couch was a prime photo op place. Everybody was getting their picture taken there.

C.J. wearing "Marie"...she found this mink hat at a little apartment sale along one of the sidewalks. She got it for $15.! Then a little old lady hung out the window upstairs and said it was her hat. The lady's name was Marie..... C.J. said "Hi, I am C.J. and I love your hat and will enjoy it and take care of it." Thus that hat is called "Marie".

Our hotel...Beekman Tower. This was the first time I had stayed uptown...it's mid town actually. We were on the 11th. floor with not a great view. One side of this place has excellent views of the East River. I usually stay downtown closer to Jamey's neighborhood. The United Nation buildings are right nearby Beekman Tower. There were alot of diplomat apartment buildings in the surrounding blocks. The hotel sits right on the East River.

Our room had a kitchenette which was so nice to have. The maid cleaned up our fruit and cheese dishes and coffee cups every day. I could've stayed here for a month.

Here you can read all about the hotel.

The front of Beekman Tower. All the staff were very efficient and kind.

C.J. on the couch. Notice the clock above her head. I realized that I have a thing for clocks. We saw so many beautiful old clocks inside and outside wherever we went.

We went to Chrissie's apartment for a roof top brunch one day. She lives in a snazzy place downtown. Jamey and Chrissie went to college together so they have been friends a long time. She travels the world with her job having to do with trends in fashion. The pool is heated and there is a big bar-b-q area up there.

A view from Chrissie's roof. There are 360 degree views. You can walk all the way around the building. From one of the sides you can see the Empire State Building.

We thought it amazing that these big trees are growing on a roof. There are many beautiful gardens on folk's roof tops.

Left to right- C.J., Jamey, Chrissie and Justine (in the blue coat). Justine is Chrissie's sister and was visiting from San Francisco. It was a windy day up there.

I loved the vine on this building. It was turning red for the fall season.

Left to right- C.J. Seth, me, Michelle and Jamey. Seth went to school with Jamey and is also one of her oldest pals. He is tired...he was there from Washington D.C. where he lives with his parents while he works on his thesis. Michelle is a hairdresser. This picture was taken on the 26th. floor of our hotel where the views are spectacular from the bar/restaurant there. It looks especially lovely at night with all the city lights.

The architecture of New York City is absolutely amazing. Every where you look there is carvings of marble and granite and stone decorations above doorways and around windows. I tried not to gawk too much and keep my gaping mouth closed. I was so busy looking at everything and watching where I was walking that I didn't stop much to take pictures. I love history and the gothic style.

No comments: