Pageviews past week

Sunday, May 22, 2011

DEL RIO HIGH SCHOOL PROM-May 21, 2011

The prom was packed, even though it might not look like it in my photos. Probably at least 300 kids there. The dancing was so cool and fun and amazing to watch. Sometimes it was a Mexican music mosh pit...sometimes a guy getting tossed in the air...and then salsa, marengue, cumbia etc...with a pinch of hip hop in the background. There was one guy who was a big hit...he danced like crazy using glow stix...his classmates were cheering him on.

My dance pictures suck. It was dark and hard to focus. You could tell some kids have been dancing with their Granma's, cousins and brothers and sisters all their lives...but really you just can't see it in my photos. They all knew the songs and knew when to hop, clap, put their hands in the air and yell "Whoo-whoo-whoo!" Lots of times they danced with their partners...but other times they circled...sometimes circled in opposite directions etc.

The theme was "masquerade"....This is on the stage where the professional photos (to purchase) took place...and the DJ's were up there too.

Gene..schmoozing with 2 of the assistant principals.

There IS a bit a space here....we couldn't find any. It was hard to thread our way thru the crowds. Lots and lots of sparkle...sparkly dresses and jewelry and shoes...I could have done a photo blog on shoes alone!! Wish I had but was too shy to ask...."Can I photograph your shoes?" Only saw a few girls w/ short hair...lots of long hair with spiral curls.

Smart girls wore short dresses. There was alot of being careful not to step on everybody's dress. Some dresses looked very "vegas-show-girl". Many of the guys had on vests etc. that matched the color of their date's dress. I was amused at the amount of sweating, tugging at strapless gowns and simply the attractiveness and energy of the kids. I am old. This was my 1st. prom ever. I was a wallflower in 1972 and nobody invited me to my prom.

Gene and I arrived at 9:45pm and chaperoned until midnight when the dance was over...then were on the clean up crew for an hour until 1am. These ladies are smiling at the apparent hefty-strongness of their chore...these columns didn't weigh anything...haha. Lost and found tray was small...regarding how many kids were there. I found: sunglasses, a cufflink, a locket, a man's tie and 12 cents.

No comments: